Monday, October 28, 2019

POEM: "The Vineyard of My Here and Now"


Without praying I plead with You,
Begging for a sign, a blazed tree,
Though I think I understand that You
Resist such magic and burrow instead
Into the crooked crevices of the imagination,
Into the little risks that move huge stones.

Without watching I look for You,
Half-expecting You to direct my gaze,
Half-expecting You to speak my language;
But Yours is hidden in burning bushes,
In inconvenient plagues of locusts, frogs,
And, yes, in Cana’s water, once water, now wine.

Without understanding I step toward You,
Hoping in my bewilderment that You
Hear my unprayed prayers, and
Knowing in my uncertain soul that You
Have work for me to do, and to love,
In the haunted and holy vineyard of my here and now.

DGJ
10.28.19
Dover, NH