Friday, April 30, 2010

Pray On Just a Little While Longer



I read a colleague's reflection on the Eucharist today: the intimacy of God's choice to join us as bread is broken, as a cup is passed, as broken people stumble toward a common table.  It hardly seems like enough, this choice.  There's another huge oil slick threatening ecosystems on the Gulf Coast.  I heard today from a parishioner whose brother died in Afghanistan - killed by sniper fire.  How is it that the Eucharist - or any other ritual, sacrament - affects meaningful change in a desperate world?

I'm not sure I know.  A good bit of the time, God seems hidden in all that's broken, or overwhelmed by the pain around me, even my own doubts. 

And then I'll hear a piece of music: "Hold on just a little while longer!"  "Pray on just a little while longer!"  It finds me like some kind of rumor on the wind.  Maybe.  Maybe.  Maybe the wildflowers bear witness to something truly wild and very real.  Maybe broken bread passed from hand to heart is the secret to wholeness.  Maybe that gentle prophet who refuses to give up on love is the real genius.