Monday, June 28, 2010

Energy

I guess pride's a dangerous thing, where faith is concerned.  There are so many ways to lose perspective, to become hardened and self-indulgent.  But I've got to say I was a proud pastor yesterday.  I was proud of the congregation's spirit, optimism, intensity.  I was proud of the way a talented search team finished its business and presented the church with a remarkable new minister.  And mostly, I was proud of the energy, the graciousness, the extravagance of our welcome.  I know these are hard times for mainline Christian denominations.  But there was nothing mainstream or ho-hum or the least been ordinary about First Congregational Church - not yesterday.  The Spirit of God was palpable.  The grace that heals human wounds flowed freely.

At the heart of all that grace was our new Minister for Family Life and Ministry: Cordelia Strandskov.  Cordelia's integrity, her inventive spirit, her courage were on fine display.  She moved freely and eagerly among new friends.  She preached a wonderful sermon about human freedom, spiritual creativity and God's love.  And she accepted the congregation's call!  It'll be a ton of fun to welcome Cordelia to the FCC team - later in August - and to watch her enthusiasm catch fire around FCC and around town!

Every once in a while, we get glimpses of the world as it should be, as it might be.  I had one of those glimpses just yesterday.  And it was good.  It was very good.