Saturday, March 8, 2014

Bewilderment and God (Lenten Poem #1)

How I love straight lines, trips to the grocery
Without side stops and diversions,
Five year plans where success leads to success
And cause and effect make so much sense
I worry not and lose no sleep.

This wilderness however.

Huge solid rocks scattered in my path,
Insisting I explore alternate routes.

Strange demons insisting on a beer
"Christ in the Wilderness" (Briton Riviere)
At midnight and offering an attractive promotion
To a corner office, with a view, with great benefits.
And a place at the table.  
Where big things happen.

Lovely, untamed beasts:
I step off the path to watch their gracious
Focused muscle
And listen to the spring song of birds
Whose ancient hymns are new again
And give me pause
And a sense of how big this is and how vast
The history of us.

In this wilderness I am tested, I am famished.
In this wilderness I turn left and left and left for a while,
Circling round to old fears, old dreams, 
Rehashing insecurities and indulging addictions.

It is nothing like a straight line.
And it is bewilderment itself, on an empty stomach.
Yet I sense ancestors, saints and friends out here,
Whose faith met bewilderment with grace,
Whose conscience pursued love in the darkness,
Who spoke the liberating Word even to the demons.

I pray for their hands, for their companionship
During these forty days
In the wilderness we both need and resist.
No straight lines here.
Only bewilderment and God. 

(Matthew 4:1-11)