Friday, March 21, 2014

Kyrie Eleison (Lenten Poem # 6)

I did not breathe today,
Not deeply, not gladly, not slowly.
I turned a corner without looking first
And bolted from a serious conversation
To the hospital, post-op pain,
Ten other things on my mind.
I was not present today,
Not to the mystery, not to the people
In my life.  Their strange tales,
Their stubborn, unmanageable pain.
I did not breathe deeply.

Kyrie eleison.
Christe eleison.
Kyrie eleison.

On the kitchen counter tonight,
A box of rigatoni and a simple recipe.
And in the boiling water in silver pots,
And in the picking of parsley off stems,
And in the simmering tomatoes,
And the banter of careless children,
I am watching my steps again.
I am listening to last summer's
Tomatoes singing in the sun.
I am aware of the sixty seconds in a minute. 
I am breathing again.
It's not so hard after all.