Tuesday, October 7, 2014

I Love to Tell the Story

Seattle, 10/7/14.  I sang old hymns by the bedside of a dear friend today.  She's a pilgrim on her way to a blessed and glorious place, and I flew to Seattle early this morning to say goodbye.  Singing with Margaret's family, though, I realized quickly that it wasn't so much "goodbye" as "until we meet again."  The old hymns do that to me, to us, bearing witness to the mysterious promises of our faith.  "I love to tell the story / 'twill be my theme in glory / to tell the old, old story / of Jesus and his love."  From life to life, from grace to grace, from the communion of friends on earth to the communion of friends eternal.  "Twill be my theme in glory!"  Love, love, love, love. 

As I get a little older, I'm more and more bewildered by the big questions of faith and existence.  What is out there, beyond this life, beyond this earthly realm?  What happens when we die?  Does it bear any resemblance to life on this side?  I'm bewildered and befuddled and unsure.  But singing the old hymns today ("I Love to Tell the Story," "Sweet Hour of Prayer," "His Eye is on the Sparrow"), I felt the promise of grace, the inevitability of heaven, the sweet reunion waiting for us all--and I felt it in the marrow of my bones.  Margaret's friendship over many years has always been framed by that promise: that brothers and sisters meet again, that friends in Christ feast in the great kin-dom of eternity.  Holding her hand today, singing those hymns, I felt peace beyond understanding, mystery beyond my wildest guesses.  I felt the hand of God.  And there was warmth in that hand, and a future.

I pray tonight for Margaret and for her devoted, dear, generous family.  I give thanks for the sweet ways they welcomed me to the circle for a few hours and the human touching of souls, hands, songs and tears.   

God of these days and all days, bless Margaret with your tender companionship and walk with her family in their caring and wonder and sadness.  May the ties that bind us stretch to allow for the amazing journeys yet to come.  And may we anticipate in joy the great reunion of spirit and sound and soul, that is to come, the great reunion that is our destiny.  Amen.