Thursday, January 26, 2017

Envisioning Zion

"...[P]rogressive Zionism and even the non-Zionist option is no longer, for me, sufficient. The political Zionism that won the day in 1948 has destroyed the lives of generations of Palestinians, disregarded their attachment to the land, and disrespected their history and culture. It is not a viable option for me to support it.
Today I believe that to uphold Reconstructionist values I must stand, as a Jew, in solidarity with Palestinians and work with Jewish Voice for Peace to support non-violent Palestinian tactics of Boycott, Divestment and Sanction that, we hope, will persuade Israel to end the occupation. In the current climate in the Jewish world that makes me an anti-Zionist. But in my mind, it makes me, finally, a Zionist who is working for the Zion that [Mordecai] Kaplan envisioned."
Rabbi Rebecca Alpert, Professor of Religion, Temple University in:

Reconstructionism without Zionism: A Guest Post by Rabbi Rebecca Alpert