Monday, January 1, 2018

POEM: "New Year's Eve 2017"

On a weedy cliff by the salty sea
An old guy plays his trumpet to passing pelicans.
Amazing grace how sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me! 
Nonplussed the pelicans, but now I see
Their flight against the gray sky and
Everything is heaven, everything is grace.
Every note he plays is a kite whipping 
In windy brooding skies, and every phrase true.
And now two lovers pause, their two bodies one,
Tasting the hymn like ocean spray, 
Licking it from their upper lips, their rosy cheeks.
I could forget my name, maybe someday I will,
But still know this melody, amazing grace,
How sweet the sound, and the damp face
Of the salty sea kissing mine.
Pelicans like angels across the heavens,
And lovers, sentinels of hope and revolution.
Now everything is heaven, here everything is grace.
And this day, amazing is the only word I need.

DGJ
12/31/17