Saturday, December 7, 2019

POEM: "I See What I Cannot See"

Vigil for Corporate Responsibility: Merrimack, NH; 12/6/19
Among friends, fierce and gentle, wrapped against the snow, 
I see what I cannot see, otherwise: the weaponized collosus, 
The empire chewing its way through life and limb, King Profit. 

Shoulder to shoulder with weary veterans, watched with care 
By Caesar's drones, buzzing overhead, I see what I have not seen: 
Rainbow flags, democratic resolve, sisterhood, Gandhi and King, 
And the toppling of the collosus itself, powers dethroned at last. 

And an old man reaches for the hand of an old woman, 
There is the generous fire of kindness between them, their vigil; 
And in their eyes is a child far away, crossing desert, wading river, 
Surviving another night of bombs and fears and rage in Gaza. 

Only love can impeach hate, and only light drive darkness away. 
Only friends, bound by hope, can see peace and make justice, 
Can speak new worlds into being, and study war no more. 

DGJ 
Merrimack, NH (Elbit Systems Headquarters) 
12/6/19

Read more about Elbit and CodePink's Boycott: https://www.codepink.org/stopelbit and https://www.codepink.org/azstopelbit