Thursday, July 7, 2011

Obama and the Titanic

A week or two ago, I heard a trusted progressive say this about the Obama Presidency.  "Am I disappointed?" he asked.  "Hell, no!  I mean, look at this.  Here's a guy who offered to captain the Titanic AFTER it hit the iceberg.  Seriously.  And we're still floating along, still staying above the surface.  So far.  I give him a lot of credit for that.  That ship had already hit that iceberg!"

It's just a metaphor, obviously.  But I'm reading today's news about debt ceilings and the 14th amendment, about Republican posturing around impeachment and no-new-taxes; and it kind of rings true.  These guys ran the ship straight into the iceberg--with little or no concern for the folks in harm's way.  And Obama stepped up to lead, to captain, to moderate the insanity AFTER they left the bridge.

I don't know about you...but the thought of Michelle Bachmann at the helm, or Sarah Palin, or Newt Gingrich...it makes me want to drink.