Sunday, May 11, 2014

Sunday's Musing

For what it's worth--and I guess this one's for my kids--my biggest regret in life may be never having mastered a second (or third) language.  Working my way across Greece, I'm struck by what a gift it is (or must be) to communicate freely and generously in something other than the native tongue.  Almost everyone I've met speaks at least English; and a good many speak French and German too.  It's humbling!  If I had it to do all over again, I'd have made a better effort early on, at Spanish or French or Greek or whatever.  The world is a splendid place, a wildly entertaining community of spirits.  Language opens so many of its doors.  I'm not giving up on learning a phrase or three--but, wow, if I'd only known back THEN what I think I know NOW!
Woman Asking for Help: Outside Church
Icon in Mosaic of Jesus
White Tower watches over Thessaloniki waterfront
Sabbatical Man! -- Self Portrait
On this Mother's Day Night, I went to St. Dimitrios' here in Thessaloniki and lit a candle in gratitude for the mothers in my life: especially Mom in Maine, Kate in Santa Cruz and Liz at Dominican Oaks.  Know that you are cherished and loved--on Mother's Day and the whole year round.  Not a moment passes on this trip, that I don't give THANKS for the love and support you've shown me and showered upon me!  I love you!
Mother's Day candle lit at Church in Thessaloniki