Friday, March 6, 2015

LENTEN PRAYER (3.6.15): A SILENT SINGING MOON


God of the dusk, turning dark,
Then illuminated by a singing silent moon:
Draw me into such silence and light,
And wrap your shimmering wonder
Around my life, my spirit, my world.

I would leave so many words on this desk,
And leave too the grasping, wanting mind
Of Monday's calculations and Thursday's ambition.
I would leave all these things here,
And dance in naked nothingness to Your light,
Where silence preaches patience and grace.

Play now upon the creatures of night,
The thrifty raccoon, the wailing coyote,
The yelping sea lion under the salty wharf.
And play upon the old man stumbling 
From the bar with nowhere to go,
And the hopeful student reading poetry
By the window, because it thrills her.

God of the deep, black, silent night.
Draw me into your endless mysteries,
And teach me to wait by the window.

For anything and everything and You.