Monday, May 4, 2020

TUESDAY LAUDS: "Morning Prayers"

I hope you'll freely join me for Lauds, our morning prayers, as the Beloved Community greets each new day in peace and faith.  Let our hearts be opened wide to the invitation of Jesus: to love abundantly, to do justice bravely and to seek the peace of our cities, towns and nations.  Most often I'll stream these prayers on Facebook Live at 9 am, and then post them to the blog a little after that.

PRAYERS FOR TUESDAY, MAY 5:

Opening Verse
         In the morning when I rise,
         In the morning when I rise,
         In the morning when I rise
         Give me Jesus

         And when the world is spinning round...
        
Peace, Salaam and Shalom to you, dear friends, as light dawns a new day, a day that is both sacred and strange, a day that is both gift and opportunity.  This morning, our time together will include silence for meditation, intercessions for neighbors near and far, and a blessing for your day.  You can find texts of these prayers on my blog: Valley Rise Up.  May our Morning Prayers together bring you courage and connect you to the beloved community of spirit that knows you and calls you friend.

Psalm 23 (as translated by Norman Fischer in Opening to You)
May your Word, O God, be a lamp unto our feet,
And a strong cord of courage for your many peoples.

        You are my shepherd, I am content
        You lead me to rest in the sweet grasses
        To lie down by the quiet waters
        And I am refreshed

        You lead me down the right path
        The path that unwinds in the patterns of your name

        And even if I walk through the valley of the shadow of death
        I will not fear
        For you are with me
        Comforting me with your rod and your staff
        Showing me each step

        You prepare a table for me
        In the midst of my adversity
        And moisten my head with oil

        Surely my cup is overflowing
        And goodness and kindness will follow me
        All the days of my life
        And in the long days beyond
        I will always live within your house

May your Word, O God, be a lamp unto our feet,
And a strong cord of courage for your many peoples.

Jesus' Prayer 
   Earth-maker, life-giver, pain-bearer,
   Source of all that is and all that shall be,                   
   Father and Mother of us all,
   Loving God in whom is heaven:
   May the hallowing of your name
   echo through the universe!

   May your heavenly will be done
   by all creatures great and small!
   And may your commonwealth
   of peace and freedom
   sustain our hope and come on earth!

   With the bread we need this day, feed us.
   For the hurt we inflict on one another, forgive us.
   By your grace and mercy,
   strengthen us through seasons of temptation,
   and spare us from trials too great to endure.
   Free us from bigotry and evil, for service and truth.

   For you reign in the glory of the power that is Love.  Amen.

People's Response
         “Jesu Tawapano” (Jesus, we are here for you.)

Five Minutes of Silence & Meditation
You’re invited to experience the active, generous presence of God—in your body, in your soul, in our ruah.  Remember that the Bible uses this one Hebrew word (ruah) for “spirit” and for “wind” and for “breath.”  As we sit quietly and breath mindfully, we are aware of the Spirit’s tender and resilient movement in our lives.

If your mind wanders, do not be harsh or judgmental.  Simply notice the wandering mind, and then return to your breath.  Return to the Spirit who is your companion in prayer.

Prayers of the People
With gratitude for the bonds of friendship, in faithfulness to our calling as the beloved community, we pray now, for one another, for all our neighbors, and for sisters, brothers and friends near and far. 

        Kyrie eleison, Christe eleison, Kyrie eleison.

For those who are sick and ailing, for those who are anxious and frightened, that they may know the generous spirit of grace and have access to the best of care and counsel:

         Kyrie…

For health professionals around the world and for public health servants who are working to provide clear guidance, effective testing and compassionate care:

         Kyrie…

For immigrants, refugees and prisoners of conscience, that their hearts may be strengthened by faith and that their journeys to freedom be hastened by grace:

         Kyrie...

For others we name here and now, that they may know the calming touch of your peace and find comfort and companionship among friends:

         Kyrie…

Prayer for Serenity (as originally composed by Reinhold Niebuhr)    
   God, give us grace to accept with serenity
   the things that cannot be changed;
   Give us courage to change the things
   which should be changed;
   and give us the Wisdom to distinguish
   the one from the other.

   I will live one day at a time,
   I will enjoy one moment at a time,
   And I will accept hardship as a pathway to peace:
   Taking, as Jesus did,
   This broken world as it is,
   And not as I would have it;
   Trusting that You will make all things whole and right,
   If I surrender to Your will,
   And that I can be reasonably happy in this life,
   And supremely happy with You, in the life which knows no end.
   Amen and amen.

Response: By Your Grace (Krishna Das)
         I am a pilgrim, your road so long
         I am the singer, you are the song
         Held in the open sky, so far above
         I am the lover, you are the love

         Jai Gurudev...

(In Sanskrit, 'Guru' means One who is wise, experienced and learned.  'Dev' is One who is playful, mischievous, even impish: perhaps the Holy Fool.  Therefore, "Jai Guru Dev" literally means 'Praise to the One who is wise and yet playful, learned and yet mischievous.  You in?  I think of it as a disciple's deep reverance in the presence of the teacher.)

Blessing
        May the Light of God’s Grace fall bright upon your face.
        May the Hand of God’s Love be upon you, like a friend.
        and
        May the Communion of Friends and Church be a constant
        presence in your heart, a source of courage today,
        and a reminder of the joy and promise of everlasting life.

You are a blessing to the world, my friend, and beloved and cherished by God.  Live in the light and walk by faith.  The God of our ancestors, the God of all the prophets and saints, goes with you!  Go in peace and live well on planet earth.