Wednesday, February 17, 2021

POEM: "This Cross in Ash"

You desire truth in the inward being;
therefore teach me wisdom in my secret heart.
Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;
wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
Let me hear joy and gladness;
let the bones that you have crushed rejoice.
Hide your face from my sins,
and blot out all my iniquities.


Psalm 51

In secret I pray to you, O Wisdom and Lover:
Not for the kind words of congregants,
Not for the sweet respect of colleagues,
But for the healing of these bruised bones,
For the cleansing of my stubborn pride,
For the renewal of my heart, which is yours in me.

You desire truth in the inward being.

Purge me with hyssop, when I seek only my own satisfaction.
Wash me in ash, when I delight in my enemy's wrong.
Hide your face from my wounded smugness,
And let me hear the song only you can teach me:
Mercy and justice, down by the riverside,
And I will study war no more.

Come, Wisdom of the frosted hills.
Come, Christ of the frozen rivers.
I turn my spirit to your face, to your holy gaze.
If I fear the grief of my own guilt, turn it to light and love.
If I resist the motion of confession, bow with me now.

By the days of this season, teach me the gospel way,
And I will go where you go, to know you and learn from you.
I will take up the cross, now sketched in ash on my brow;
By Easter's grace, that same pattern will be my choice:
My truth, your wisdom, my desire and your gift.

I will rise again.

Ash Wednesday 2021