Wednesday, September 23, 2015

The Wisdom of Yogi (Rest in Peace, Dear Yankee)

"I never said most of things I said," said Yogi, famously.  His reputation was almost biblical: stuff attributed to him because...well, because...But there's wisdom here, deep wisdom, nonetheless.  "You can observe a lot just by watching."  Rest in peace, dear Yankee.  You were a champion on the diamond, and a sage among words!

  • "Baseball is 90 percent mental. The other half is physical."
  • "All pitchers are liars or crybabies."
  • "He hits from both sides of the plate. He's amphibious."
  • "You can't think and hit at the same time."
  • "So, I'm ugly. I never saw anyone hit with his face."
  • "It's deja vu all over again."

  • "Even Napoleon had his Watergate."
  • "You can observe a lot just by watching."
  • "I'm not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did."
  • "Why buy good luggage? You only use it when you travel."
  • "The towels were so thick there I could hardly close my suitcase."
  • "Cut my pie into four pieces. I don't think I could eat eight."
  • "Never answer an anonymous letter."
  • "When you come to a fork in the road, take it."
  • "If you don't know where you are going, you'll end up someplace else."


  • "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."
  • "If you can't imitate him, don't copy him."
  • "The future ain't what it used to be."
  • "A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore."
  • "I never said most of the things I said."
  • "It ain't over 'til it's over."
  • "Always go to other people's funerals. Otherwise, they won't come to yours."